BOOK REVIEW: THE SILENT COMPANIONS by LAURA PURCELL

 



“No one was truly alone. Not ever, not in this house.”

Where do I even begin to express my thoughts on how fantastic this book was? Lovers of gothic horror, ghost stories, historical fiction, and immersive storytelling, will probably devour this in one sitting!

Our story follows the widowed and pregnant Elsie Bainbridge who has moved into her late husband’s dilapidated estate in the year 1865. Accompanied by her husband’s cousin Sarah, Elsie feels she could use some friendship seeing as the servants are hostile and the nearby villagers are full of superstitions. Who could blame them when it is discovered that there has been something akin to a dark curse over the house and the Bainbridge family for 200 years. Perhaps it might have something to do with a very peculiar secret locked up in the attic.

The pacing for this story creeps like a velvety shadow and it is glorious! I loved how the dark mystery unfolded through the alternating timelines of two different centuries. I am also confident in saying I thought the ending was (*chefs kiss*) perfection. But the height of my adoration for this book came from the author’s clever use of the “companions”, making this one of the most unique ghost stories I’d ever read. (Google “dutch silent companions 17th century” and tell me you aren’t creeped out)!

If you should pick this one up, I would advise to read this on days when it seems the rain will never let up. Read this in Autumn when the chill returns and you’re comforted by your thick blankets and hot tea. Read this in Winter, in the dark, by candlelight, with a glass of mulled wine. Whenever you choose to read it, let this haunting tale of spilled blood and madness engulf you.

(5/5⭐)

Comments

  1. LOVE your book photo!! This sounds like a read I gotta check out asap!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts