BOOK REVIEW: THE THIRTEENTH KOYOTE BY KRISTOPHER TRIANA


 
“Some Ghosts never stopped haunting you...And some evils, it seemed, would not die, but only rest. Rest and wait.”

I’ve just read nearly 500 pages of a Werewolf Western and I feel as if I’ve survived the chaotic winds of a tornado.

A group of vicious half-wolf outlaws are on the hunt for the key that opens the door to Hell. The fate of humanity lies in the hands of an ageless nun, a sharp-shooting teenage girl, an emancipated slave, and a half-wolf outcast with the number 13 tattooed on his neck.

This was probably the most carnage-heavy Splatter Western in the series thus far and I will be shocked if no one feels the need to bathe in holy water after finishing this behemoth of an unholy epic. Splatterpunk as a horror sub-genre is typically known for its gore not recommended for the faint of heart, but while we definitely got a taste of blood in the other Splatter Westerns, author Kristopher Triana basically chuckled and said “hold my beer.” This 👏🏽book👏🏽 was👏🏽 brutal👏🏽 but SO good! However, the story is not just pages of slaughter. There’s an entire cast of well developed characters both noble and despicable that the readers get to follow on this insane ride of horror, fantasy, and dark mysticism.

I feel I should mention that this book comes with nearly all the triggers (infanticide, brief sexual violence, some uses of the N-word for which I always knock a star from my ratings because I refuse to give white authors that pass, etc.).But if you can stomach nearly 500 pages of werewolf brutality, you need this 8th addition to the Splatter Western series on your shelves.

(4/5⭐)

(Also big thanks to Deaths Head Press, Night Worms, and Kristopher Triana for this #NightWormsBookParty review copy!)

Comments

  1. This sounds so intense! I can't wait to snag it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate your thorough reviews. I'm a fresh author and would love to have you review my book, if that's something you're into. It's a fiction, thriller, folk horror that explores the impact of Canada's melting pot society on the traditional folk lore of the land. It celebrates Canadian cultural diversity, but brings to the forefront the spiritual foundations that already existed within the land and people that lived here.
    I'm an indie author published through. It's called Meshkwadoon: Book 1. If not, totally cool. Just would love to get your perspective because of your great tastes!!
    @alexandertilley on IG if you'd like to message me! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts