BOOK REVIEW: SIX WAKES by MUR LAFFERTY



After finishing and thoroughly enjoying the hell out of this book, I’m convinced I need more space murder mysteries in my life!

SIX WAKES is a sci-fi mystery thriller that begins with six clones awakening from cryo-sleep to discover their former bodies have been brutally murdered. Trapped in a generation ship and decades from Earth, this turns into somewhat of a "closed circle" / "locked-room" mystery where both the characters and the readers know that the killer is still among them. But with wiped memories and each character having dicey criminal pasts, tensions are high as the suspect could be any one of them.

This was such a compelling read! In this universe, people live long lives by simply cloning their bodies and transferring their consciousness and memories after they die. Because they can do this for as long as they please, our characters are technically immortal and have lived hundreds of years. This lead the book to address all kinds of ethics questions: do clones have souls? Should clones have human rights? What is religion to a clone? What is the weight of death to a person who simply comes back in a new body?

Intense, character driven, uniquely crafted, and just plain good! If I had to find one complaint it would be that I would’ve preferred a darker ending (because I’m a monster). My review may be biased because I’ve simply never read anything like this, but I freaking loved it! Please check this book out and then come back and tell me your thoughts! I need to geek out with somebody!!!

(4.5/5⭐)

Comments

Popular Posts