Book Review: A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay



"On the morning of the exorcism, I stayed home from school."


I read "A Head Full of Ghosts" in four days. That's not bad when you consider the fact that I work and only have so many breaks in my day to pick up a book (you gotta be committed to the task if you're determined to read as much as I do. Every second counts!!!!)

Paul Tremblay's "A Head Full of Ghosts" first pulled me in by its synopsis. A teenager named Marjorie is very sick. Could it be schizophrenia? Could it be a gradual descent into madness? Doctors seem to be failing, medical bills are climbing, family tensions are rising. Enter Catholic priest Father Wanderly with a diagnosis for possible demon possession and an offer for an exorcism. When a scheme also arises to put all the creepy drama on television as a reality show, Marjorie's family feels it can't hurt to make a little money, pay off those medical bills and possibly free Marjorie of her demons. All of this is being witnessed by Marjorie's little sister Merry who later as an adult recalls all of this to a bestselling writer.

I loved how Tremblay laid this story out. As I mentioned in the synopsis, the reader is given an account of disturbing events by an eight year old Merry Barrett. And what better way to experience the exorcism of a teenager than through the eyes of an honest and terrified child. We also get some of these accounts through adult Merry who is interviewed by a well meaning and well known author. I had to wonder, as I read, whether Merry was a reliable narrator. Were the events that occurred really happening, or was her eight year old mind playing tricks on her? Could the book itself be playing mind games with me?! On another note, a few people felt iffy about Tremblay's writing in the voice of a young girl. I didn't mind it at all and found it effective for the story. If I'm reading about an eight year old witnessing her sister's exorcism, I want her to sound like an eight year old. No complaints from me.

I also wanted to sing my praises for the numerous tributes and references to the paranormal horror genre within books and film in this novel. It made me want to pull them from my shelves and re-read / re-watch them all. There's also a reference in the book to one of my favorite songs, sung by Billie Holiday ,"Gloomy Sunday"(Look it up and give it a listen if you're curious).

"Being lost isn't the same as being nowhere. Being lost is worse because there's the false hope that you might be found."

I go on and on (on Bookstagram) about how much I love stories about ghosts and demons. Obviously I wasn't going to pass on reading a psychological horror about demon possession. This book scared the hell out of me, but not in the traditional sense. There was no violence, no senseless gore, and it didn't disturb me necessarily the way William Peter Blatty's The Exorcist had. But it is, however, very unnerving. For me, reading it was like constantly looking over my shoulder, thinking there was something there, and then deciding it was just the house settling...or was it???? I'd like to think Marjorie's creepiness and unpredictability had something to do with my unease. There are a lot of scenes with eerie sounds, sudden shadowy movements, and disturbing imagery and you, along with the characters, are uncertain and confused as to what's happening and, like little Merry, start questioning and going back on your thoughts and having doubts! Was that Marjorie or just a shadow? Was that Marjorie or just the wind? Was that Marjorie or the demon within? It's pretty great.

"I'll keep your tongue and put it on a string, wear it like a necklace, keep it close against my chest, let it taste my skin until it turns black and shrivels up like all dead things do. What an amazing fucking thought that is: your never-ending tongue shrunken and finally stilled."

As you might have guessed , this is one of those "determine for yourself what you think happened" kind of books (which sometimes I tend to hate. This book was an exception). I was chilled to the bone and I feel this book will leave a lasting impression on me, and perhaps you, depending on your beliefs and point of view. If you choose to read it, once you've finished it, take a moment to let the story simmer and settle for a bit before rating it. The longer I thought about the book and its effect on me, the closer I came to the decision that I loved it. Of course it could be the reverse for you, but still *sshhhhhhh* let it simmer.

(5/5⭐)

                                                                        XO Nina

Comments

  1. Hello,

    Hope you are doing good. You posted an amazing book review here, and you have an elegant blog, loved it

    I am writing to you today, looking for an honest review of my suspense, thriller, sci-fi story-book "Time Crawlers", published on June 14, 2018, via Kindle Direct Publishing. The book is 118 pages long.
    Alien Invasion, Dark Artificial Intelligence, Time-Travel, High-Tech Hindu Mythology, Djinn Folklore, Telekinetics and life-consuming Cosmic Entities are some major themes in my book which has 6 tightly-knit, fast-paced Sci-Fi stories.

    Your precious words would help me write better books in the future. If you wish to review the book, please let me know which of these formats, PDF / MOBI / EPUB, would you like to read?

    Amazon link here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DRPPGK6
    Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40540847-time-crawlers

    Very Respectfully,
    Varun Sayal

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts