MINI REVIEW: CROSSROADS by LAUREL HIGHTOWER



"Chris didn't believe in demons. They were silly."

How far would you go to bring a loved one back? I asked myself this question the last time I read a story about the loss of a child (Pet Semetary by Stephen King) and I’d like to think I would at least stay far away from unnatural forces even if it meant seeing a loved one again.

Crossroads is a gut wrenching ghost story laced with themes of motherhood, grief, and sacrifice. I’d been warned that this brilliantly written novella by Hightower would be an emotionally rough storm to weather as a reader. I was not mislead. This story really packs a painful punch for such a small book. It ground my emotions to pieces and brought me to ask myself questions such as “how might a sorrow this deep effect my sanity? How would I cope?” And this wasn’t just about the unconditional love of a mother who had lost her child. This was about a grief that slowly fed a dangerous obsession...as well as something supernaturally sinister.

“The first time Chris buried a part of herself by her son’s roadside cross, it was an accident.”

Please give this one a read, especially for the relatable characters and Hightower’s raw, honest writing. Also don’t be afraid to let this story invade the untouched, padlocked corners of your mind and lead you to ask “the heavy questions”.

(Trigger warnings: self harm, suicidal attempts)

(5/5⭐)
 
 
                                                                              xo Nina

 

Comments

  1. <3 Wonderful review! I had to put this one down many times while reading. It's so intense, but such a great tale!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts