BOOK REVIEW: The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury


So I really love Ray Bradbury. And I don't think I realized this until I read The Illustrated Man. Naturally he's well known for his more recognizable books like Fahrenheit 451, and The Halloween Tree became one of my new spooky holiday favorites. But I think The Illustrated Man turned me into an official fan.

What's it about? A man comes across a stranger completely covered in  tattoos. The stranger reveals to the man that each of his tattoos is a story that comes to life on his skin. That should hook you automatically, because it sure as hell hooked me!

"'I'm so proud of my illustrations that I'd like to burn them off. I've tried sandpaper, acid, a knife...For you see,' said the illustrated man 'these illustrations predict the future.'"

First of all, do you know how hard it is to get me to read collections of short stories? I just get so frustrated starting one and getting bored or wishing the short story could have just been a full novel. But Ray-freaking-Bradbury changed that for me. Who'd have thought I'd love short stories about futuristic interplanetary travel (which I gathered was the constant theme throughout most of the stories)! Every story I started felt like I was in for a treat. Million-year rainfalls, time travel, invasions, missionary trips to Mars.

"Don't ever be a Rocket Man...I mean it...Because when you're out there you want to be here, and when you're here you want to be out there. Don't start that."

Every story pulled me in, and none of these stories took on a predictable plot (at least not for me. I don't read a lot of science fiction). In fact, they were bizarre, beautifully written,  at times darkly ironic, sometimes comedic, and very entertaining--although it's becoming more evident to me that Bradbury had a pretty pessimistic view on the future, but I sensed that a little in Fahrenheit 451.

I now feel the need to recommend this book to anyone curious about Ray Bradbury or to those who are still new to Sci-fi like myself! You're in for an out of this world treat!

(5/5⭐)



                                                                            Nina

Comments

Popular Posts