Book Review: Misery by Stephen King


After a near-fatal car accident that shatters his legs, bestselling novelist Paul Sheldon awakens in the isolated Colorado home of his rescuer and number one fan, Annie Wilkes. Annie is obsessed with Paul's books and is a little more than upset when she learns he's killed off her favorite character and  beloved protagonist, Misery Chastain. So she tells Paul he's going to write her another book--one where her heroine lives, one that is written especially for her and only her. If Paul refuses, she has very unpleasant ways of provoking cooperation.

As someone who has never read a psychological horror thriller before, this book was a great place to start. (As someone looking for an exciting read in general, Stephen King is ALWAYS a great place to start). From the moment the injured protagonist Paul Sheldon wakes up in the home of Annie Wilkes, to the moment one wonders whether he'll live through his captivity or die from the defeat of his suffering, I was at the edge of my seat! The only reasons I was able to put this book down was because of work and sleep. I felt the hostage character's pain (physical and emotional) in so many ways! I loved how King wrote some of the most excruciating parts in such a way that it made me cringe. As I read through the book I also couldn't help but wonder if this was a personal fear of Stephen King himself.

The award for best character in this novel goes to the nefarious Annie Wilkes. This woman terrified me--an angry ex-nurse who wielded all the control as captor and yet struggled to keep control of the unpredictable storm that was her sick mind. She clearly was not well in the head and I loved how one moment she was kind and abiding, bringing hot soup on a tray, the next moment she's threatening to end both their lives. Terrifying. I also loved how Paul looked to her as both a stern disiplinarian-type mother and a merciless man-killing goddess. He both feared and depended on her as a helpless prisoner.

"You owe me your life, Paul. I hope you'll remember that. I hope you'll keep that in mind."

The only parts of the book I didn't really care for (and this is a small complaint) were the excerpts from Paul Sheldon's novel Misery Returns. I know Annie Wilkes adored his novels to the point of obsession, but honestly I could have cared less about what happened to Ms. Misery Chastain (plus the historical romance fiction genre Paul Sheldon writes is not really my thing). But that is literally the only complaint I had in the entire book.

All in all, this book was great. I found myself constantly putting myself in Paul Sheldon's shoes, wondering how I'd plan an escape from a crazy woman's home with broken legs and an addiction to pain killers. The pacing was good, there are only two characters to follow and you could read it in a week or less! If you're looking for a quick read that gets your heart racing, this one might suit you well! Feel free to check it out!

(5/5⭐)

                                                                        XO Nina










Comments

Popular Posts