BOOK REVIEW: SHADOW OF THE VULTURE by REGINA GARZA MITCHELL



Easily unputdownable with a digestible 95 pages, all I can say about Death’s Head Press’s latest Splatter Western by Regina Garza Mitchell is, “I want more! I want more! I want more!”

An old and powerful witch, an ex-soldier accompanied by her dead friend on a quest to avenge the fallen, a young woman who wishes to soar with the vultures. All badass Latina women seeking to protect the land of their ancestors from American invaders—more specifically a ruthless gang looking for nothing but trouble and bloodshed.

Just from the cover I’d predicted that this was going to be a fantastic read and my only disappointment was in my longing for this epic story to be 100 pages longer! I felt like this would’ve made an excellent series on its own, highlighting characters I wanted more backstory from, amplifying the violence and the lore and the battles. I felt it was a book that deserved more time developing. Nevertheless, it’s gritty, heartbreaking, empowering, and definitely a recommended read for those who love a good “one-sitting” supernatural, Own Voices, splatter western novella.

(5/5⭐)

(Thank you to Death’s Head Press, Night Worms and author Regina Garza Mitchell for this #NightWormsBookParty review copy!)

Comments

  1. AH! I need to pick this one up ASAP. Great review! I love these splatter westerns!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts