Book Review: I'm Thinking of Ending Things by Iain Reid



“Sometimes a thought is closer to truth, to reality, than an action. You can say anything, you can do anything, but you can’t fake a thought.”

This is going to be one of those reviews where I have to tread very carefully to avoid giving away any spoilers while at the same time revealing just enough for you to go out, pick up and read this book. That being said this review will probably be my shortest ever.

Iain Reid's I'm thinking of Ending Things is a psychological horror about a couple on their way to visit the guy's parents out in the dark, rural countryside. During the entire road trip the girlfriend is "thinking of ending things" and throughout the story she is mulling over whether or not she should go through with bringing this relationship to a close.

"I'm thinking of ending things. Once this thought arrives, it stays. It sticks. It lingers. It dominates. There's not much I can do about it. Trust me. It doesn't go away. It's there when I sleep. It's there when I wake up. It's always there. Always."

This story is just what is presented upfront. The girlfriend also has a secret gnawing at her core. Meanwhile there is this atmosphere of unnerving eeriness in the background that keeps the reader very nervous and alert. As you read, one can't help but wonder why they're scared. Characters start behaving oddly, the imagery gradually becomes more disturbing and it is the creepiest experience I've had in a while as a reader of horror.

When I turned my copy of this book over, written in italics was this sentence:

"You will be scared. But you won't know why..."

And holy crap, they weren't kidding! Never have I read a more dead-on summation for a book. Every time our protagonist was left alone, I felt like I was on the lookout for something out of the ordinary, something that was going to sneak up behind her, something that was coming to get her. Reading this was like watching the dead-silent scenes of a scary movie and anticipating jump scares that left you at the edge of your seat. I couldn't place where the threat was coming from and wondered if  there was even a threat at all or if my own gullible mind was playing tricks on me. This made me uncomfortable as the reader and I loved it! It was mind-bending and downright unsettling!

“The meaning of my existence is that life has addressed a question to me. Or, conversely, I myself am a question which is addressed to the world, and I must communicate my answer, for otherwise I am dependent upon the world's answer.”
Iain Reid's writing style is very quick and blunt. Nothing flowery or ground breaking, which I found effective for a story with an intent to make you anxious. This was also a very short read, one that can be completed in one or two sittings if you have that much time. I highly recommend this book, especially if you are a fan of psychological thrillers / horror, and if you're in the mood for an ending that's totally going to mess with you!

(4/5⭐)

                                                                                xo Nina

Comments

Popular Posts